The start of a semester is a good time to think about how you would conduct classroom instruction in the event of emergencies and disasters. Items to consider include:
Updating your syllabus
- Adding course policies to your syllabus on how you will continue instruction in the event of emergencies and disasters.
- Adding a contingency plan to your attendance policy allowing for emergencies and disasters accommodating individual student situations.
Once the semester starts
- Ask students for alternate email addresses and contact information.
- Communicate to your students that class will continue and they are expected to keep up with the course work.
- Prepare a draft communication to send to your students referring to your syllabus contingency plan if university closure is imminent.
- Conduct practice drills which will help you prepare to access all vital university systems from home.