ACTIVE LEARNING ACADEMY
The Active Learning Academy (ALA) is a group open to all faculty who are interested in using active learning techniques, learning from peers, and promoting the adoption of active learning across campus. The ALA runs from Fall through Spring and applications are due in early Fall each year. Small teams of faculty peers will meet regularly over the course of the academic year at times selected by group members.
The ALA will provide faculty with an interest in active learning an opportunity to:
- Create a community of practice with instructors who are interested in and committed to using active learning.
- Become familiar with best practices in active learning.
- Learn new active learning techniques.
- Receive support as they search for solutions to the challenges they encounter when using active learning.
- Continue their development as instructors who use active learning in their classes.
- Participation in regular discussions with small team of peers (led by an Active Learning expert) based on your schedule and availability.
- Technical and pedagogical workshops.
- Peer observations of teaching to promote reflective teaching.
- Team presentation at Active Learning Exposition at the end of the academic year.
The ALA is open to full-time faculty of all ranks, part-time instructors, and five graduate students and runs for the academic year. No experience with active learning is necessary to participate in the ALA. We encourage faculty with a variety of levels of expertise to apply, from those who are trying out active learning for the first time to those who consider themselves experts.
OTHER ACTIVE LEARNING RESOURCES
The CTL hosts active learning workshops on a regular basis that are open to all university instructors. Please see the CTL Calendar to find the next active learning workshop.
ACTIVE LEARNING RESOURCES:
For more information and resources on Active Learning, please visit the Active Learning Resources page.
ACTIVE LEARNING CLASSROOMS:
For more information on the technology in the Active Learning Classrooms, please vist the Active Learning Classrooms page.
Active Learning Conference: Bob Beichner (4/8/2016)