Large Course Redesign - 2012
“Improving student learning while reducing instructional costs”
Academic Affairs and the Center for Teaching and Learning request proposals from UNC Charlotte faculty for funding support to assist them in the redesign of large courses. The goal of this grants program is to increase the success of your students by providing faculty funding support for planning and development activities.
There will be three to five faculty teams granted an award of $25,000 per team. The award will be structured in two phases:
Pre-proposals: Selected teams will receive up to $5,000 to cover costs for summer planning, to be disbursed and spent before June 30, 2012. The planning process will include the completion of a full project proposal that details the redesign activities for the coming year.
Full proposals: The full project proposal will explain how the redesign teams will spend the remaining balance of the award, up to $20,000, after July 1, 2012, to fund course development work throughout the 2012-13 academic year. (Details of the full project proposals will be given directly to awardees after selection.)
• Any team of faculty interested in redesigning an entire course (i.e., all the sections of a single course) are encouraged to apply.
• The initial pre-proposals must be submitted by a department or other academic unit and be approved by the College dean.
• Winning teams will conduct regular planning meetings and participate in CTL workshops/consultations during May/June to complete the full proposals due August 15, 2012.
• Pre-proposals are due no later than 12:00 PM on April 9, 2012.
• Notification of awards will be made by April 20, 2012.
• Completion of project planning and submission of the full redesign proposal will be due by August 15, 2012. Criteria for the full proposals (including cost analysis, DWF rates, redesign model) will be given to directly grant recipients.
Preference will be given to:
• Projects redesigning whole courses rather than individual sections
• General education and introductory courses, particularly gateway courses seeking to increase access
• Courses with documented high DFW (drop-fail-withdrawal) rates
• Demonstrated buy-in and support from departmental faculty, department chair, and dean
• Plan for sustainability, including reduction of costs
• Description of strategies to reduce cost by leveraging technology
• Late proposals will not be considered
Proposal Submission Process:
Please download and complete the RFP application (also linked at the bottom of this page, under the "Attachment" section), and send the proposal and specfied supporting documents electronically as a combined, single PDF as an email attachment to the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL@uncc.edu) no later than 12:00 PM on Monday, April 9, 2012.
Full RFP application: RFPforRedesignProject2012.doc [123KB M.S. Word Document]
The Center for Teaching and Learning will hold two Q&A sessions for grant seekers. These 30-minute open sessions are designed to answer any questions you may have about the RFP process or the redesign process itself. (It is not required for grant seekers to attend: it is only provided to assist in the process.) If interested, please sign up to attend by selecting one of the following links: Fri., 3/16, 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM or Tues., 3/20, 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM